Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Check For My Keys

Hope You are well today. Here's a story of mine that shows what ridiculous stuff happens even years after a traumatic brain injury.

If you recall from previous posts, I was blessed with partial recovery from nerve damage, worked hard in rehab and then entereed colleg and and graduated as an engineer, flew through a yr of grad scool and have had a successful career just n a limited basis depending alot on hours and processing information fast.
So I leave my house and place my keys in my left hand (the weak one from hemiparisis) and lower my left hand while I reach for the door with my right hand , I close the door when I say to myself, wait, i dont know where the keys are... I start looking in my coat pocket (on the right side, the only pockets I use...) and no keys. I feel myself panicking kind of because I just shut the door! - you know that feeling that you get where, uh oh, I'm locked out of my house , no spatre keys outside (it was locked in my car) and I wont be able to go through any windows. I start to my right pocket and start reaching all the way down . now I'm really in worried panicky mode. Then as I am about to give up , I see the keys in my left hand!
Theres some feeling there but the brain just did not register , you know?

-

1 comment:

Louise said...

Leon,

Your "lost keys effect" is all too familiar! I had a stroke at age 51 which left me with left side hemiparesis and Dejerine-Roussy. The numbness is almost more dangerous than anything else! I have stepped on glass with my left foot, and not even realized it until I saw blood of the floor.

So I can certainly relate to your situation with the keys. We have to laugh, right?

If you haven't read it yet, I recommend "The Brain That Changes Itself," by Dr Norman Doidge. It gives us hope because it describes the mechanism by which the brain can literally heal or change.

I also have been a big user of brainwave entrainment recordings. Do you believe that they have helped you to any extent?

I will read the rest of your blog with great interest. I believe that there are many of us "brain explorers" out there, who have suffered some kind of brain injury and are refusing to accept that idea that we cannot ameliorate our situation. Perhaps we should form a consortium of blogs, in the hopes of finally attracting some practical research into improving our conditions!

Thanks for your optimism and never-say-die attitude.